Date:      Thu, 15 Jan 1998 12:09:17 -0700
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@nterprise.net>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: smtp restarting after changes to sendmail.*

On Thursday January 15, 1998, Jonathan M. Bresler <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
 had this to say about "Re: smtp restarting after changes to sendmail.*":

> John-David Childs wrote:
> > 19428
> > /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q30m
> >

> > SO: I do the following:
> >
> >     kill -9 `head -1 /var/run/sendmail.pid`;/usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q30m
>
> 	ouch.....why kill sendmail dead and then restart it from scratch.
> 	sendmail will re-read /etc/sendmail.cf
> 	if 1. it was started with a full path name (like yours above)
> 	   2. you send it a HUP
> jmbn

HUP's to sendmail work for changes to /etc/sendmail.cw and
/etc/sendmail.cf, but do not work for changes to the "database" files like
/etc/virtusertable, /etc/mailertable, /etc/genericstable, etc.   Since I
end up changing those files more often than sendmail.cw or sendmail.cf, I
just got in the habit of sending a -9 instead of a -1 :-)

--
John-David Childs (JC612)       Enterprise Internet Solutions
System Administrator            @denver.net/Internet-Coach/@ronan.net