Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 20:47:05 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>, Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
Subject:   Recent libalias/ppp crashes.  dlsym() bug ?

Well, people may be pleased to know that I found the problem that's
been making ppp ``evaporate'' recently.

The new PunchFWHole() function in libalias is called from alias_db.c,
alias_ftp.c and alias_irc.c.  I didn't get things right, and adjusted my
script that builds my ppp archive so that it #ifdefs things out...
(based on __FreeBSD_version) missing the PunchFWHole() call in
alias_ftp.c and alias_irc.c, but managing to remove its definition from
alias_db.c.

When loading libalias, ppp uses dlopen()/dlsym() (in loadalias.c).
It successfully loads the libalias stuff, and the PunchFWHole() call
in alias_ftp.c makes the whole program evaporate - no syslog, nothing.

This begs the question:  Why can I load a function with dlsym() that
has unresolved variables in it ?  I'm afraid I haven't been paying
attention to the dladdr() thread - if it's relevant.

Thanks for any advise.

Oh, and BTW, ppp is now fixed :-)
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;