Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 1998 02:53:05 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail domain/user question

> I'm in need of some documentation on how to solve a problem i have.
> I Have looked in the FAQ, and documentation on sendmail at sendmail.org
> I can see part of my answer but do not know how to get it all to mesh
> well.
>
> My problem is this.
> I need to configure sendmail to allow user "foo" to send mail frome
> exchange as EITHER foo@foo.com OR foo@foop.com.
> foo.com being local LAN mail and foop.com being internet mail.
> I need sendmail to LEAVE the FROM header either foo.com or foop.com
> depending on how each user sends his/her mail.
> Then I need sendmail to use the same /var/mail/foo box for both
> foo@foo.com AND foo@foop.com
>
> Sooo..
>
> 1) I need to find documentation on one user having multiple @foo.com
> addresses.
> 2) I need documentation on keeping the FROM headers from each seperate
> @foo.com address. So that the replies go to the right domain.
> foop.com is a registered domain, while foo.com isnt. so internet mail
> needs to be able to be replied to and keep the From header: foop.com while
> lan mail with a from header of foo.com will reply to just the lan.
> 3) I hope this made sense.

You'll need to create two mailers, one for the Internet and one for
your LAN (replacing the default esmtp mailer).  You'll then have to
add some bits to ruleset 0 so that your LAN mailer is used based on
the target machine/domain name being local (probably by setting up a
class using ``C{LOCAL}'' or ``F{LOCAL}''), and the internet mailer is
used for all other domains.

Once you've done this, you can add a ``S='' line to each mailer,
pointing at a ruleset that rewrites the sender address so that it's
from the correct domain.

Don't try to do this stuff unless you know what you're doing ;^P  I'd
suggest getting O'Reillys 2nd edition Sendmail book if you want to
figure it all out.  It's pretty well written and explains how to do
all this stuff & more.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;