Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 1998 12:20:46 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: they have mail

On Tue, Feb 03, 1998 at 08:58:42AM +1100, Sue Blake wrote:
> I want to be notified (preferably by email) when mail arrives for a couple
> of users on my system. This will be a rare event which needs a reasonably
> quick response.
>
> I do not want to receive a copy of their mail, just know about it so I can
> advise them.

Thanks to all those who offered suggestions. They all made sense, and
they all nearly worked. The most spectacular attempt so far
(user:user,"|/path/scriptname" in /etc/aliases) resulted in errors of
such magnitude (trying to forward to user called "|/path/scriptname")
that root was sent a copy of the whole disaster... and root mail gets
forwarded to me anyway so it was a kind of success :-)

Well I'd better study up on this forward and script business some more,
then maybe I'll see a way to delete the private message body before it
gets sent to me.

Meanwhile, bash seems able to check for other people's mail and that
might be good enough. Still fiddling with that one...

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-