Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 1998 13:01:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, jb@cimlogic.com.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, jbryant@unix.tfs.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: merging win95 and nt filesystem changes into msdosfs

David Greenman said:

>    This is inconsistent with what you have said in the past which was
> escentially that you had neither the time nor the willingness to explain
> the changes you were proposing and that we should just take it on
> faith that what you want to do is good.
>
> >occur.  The only rationale against these has been "we fear change,
> >specifically in the form of divergence".  Now that that's blown
> >out, so long as it's possible to revert such changes if they are seen
> >to have a detrimental effect, I don't see why there's a problem.
>
>    Backing out changes after some amount of time has gone by (and thus the
> code has been modified by other people for other reasons) is not a trivial
> undertaking.

To address DG's concerns, and the bona-fide problems that Terry is
trying to solve, we need someone who has the time, energy and ability
to field the problems that *WILL* occur.  It is not a simple undertaking
to make the kind of changes that an advocate like Terry has, where there
is no review process.

Terry is bright, and probably brighter than me (so he is brighter than
dim :-)).  That doesn't mean that DG, PHK, BDE or me can accept his
changes without review by at least a trusted third-party.  My bread
and butter is based upon FreeBSD existing, and I just don't have the
time to do Terry's stuff justice.

Perhaps we need an organized effort (even including Kirk in on this)
to make sure that Terry's changes are indeed fixing the problems,
and not just trading one set for another.  I do know about the kind
of subtile breakage that can occur when working on a critical subsystem
(e.g. VM or even parts of the VFS system), and we need to move forward,
but oh so carefully...