Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 1998 15:20:05 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Brian McGovern <bmcgover@cisco.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mapping phyical memory in to the PCI address range...

>    The PCI devices have access to all of the PC's memory via DMA. The CPU can
> also access the PCI device's memory if it is mapped. I'm familiar with the
> PLX 9060 and it's a bit quirky, but not that difficult to setup DMA. See the
> fxp driver for an example of a driver that does PCI DMA.
>
> >2 - Would it really be worthwhile pursuing this endeavor? After all, a 1-2%
> >gain on moving a single character really isn't a big win. However 25+%
> >very well might be.
>
>    Maybe, maybe not. DMA will likely be slower when dealing with a small
> number of characters since there is a significant amount of work to do
> per DMA. I would guess that the fastest access would be to map the card's
> RAM via the PCI space and access it directly via the CPU.

Pardon my butting in; Brian, do you have any documentation on how the
Cyclades card actually performs these memory accesses?  In particular,
does it just transfer single bytes, or does it only move in larger
quantities?

If the former, definitely stay with using the on-card memory, as that
will be much more efficient.  OTOH, if they are moving > 32 bits of
data per DMA cycle you will start to pick up performance there.

(Yes, I've worked with the PLX parts too, although my grounding with
 the 9060 is purely based on reading the datasheet.)

with "unsubscribe hackers" in the body of the message