Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 20:31:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jin Guojun (ITG staff) <jin@george.lbl.gov>
To:        cfaehl@cs.unm.edu, freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any work being done on ATM NIC drivers?

Chris Faehl (cfaehl@cs.unm.edu) wrote:
>         I know a few folks have been working on ATM drivers for various
> NICs - does anyone have release-quality drivers, and if so, for what
> boards?
  http://www.msci.magic.net/harp/harp2.html
I test it about a couple of month ago, most things are working except VLAN.
It supports FORE and Efficient (need patches).

> I'm particularly interested in FORE boards, as my impression of
> ATM so far seems to be that most interoperability occurs when using
> same-vendor equipment. Please feel to correct my impression if I'm wrong.

I have a prodution ATM driver of Zeitnet NIC for FreeBSD and BSD/OS all
releases. Since Cabletron bought Zeitnet, it stopped shipping Zeitnet NIC.
So, I have suspend the public release for this driver.
Cabletron is going to used FORE NIC, so I will support FORE card in next
quarter, as well as Efficient thereafter. The currect performance is 130Mbps
under BSD/OS 3.1 and 76Mbps under FreeBSD due to the bug of scaled window
in FreeBSD.

There is no interoperability issue by using different ATM equipment, say
switch, NIC, etc. I have Interphase, Sun, Zeitnet, FORE, Efficient, SGI, otoo
ATM NIC all connected to FORE, NewBridge and BayNET switchs running for
many years. I did not see any critical problem. The issue may be some are
easy to use, v.s. others are harder.

	-Jin