Date:      Tue, 7 Apr 1998 07:51:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Daylight Savings Time - bug

>Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 03:01:05 -0700
>From: Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>

>....There are a couple of us who are working on some
>proposals for Paul Vixie along the following lines.

>15 2S * * * /job
>	Would run the job in standard time all year round, ignoring DST
>15 2U * * * /job
>	Runs the job in UTC time.

>	Without modification the job would happen or not happen the same way it
>does now.

Although it's a tad more verbose, my inclination would be to accomplish
a similar objective by specifying a (complete) time zone designation (if
this behavior is wanted -- of course, if it's not specified, the
scheduling is for "local time").

Among other things, that would permit scheduling something for a
certain time in (say) the MET time zone on a machine that happens
to live in the US/Pacific (or US/Arizona!) time zone.  I can imagine
circumstances where that might be of value.

However, the ability to always use "standard" (or "daylight savings")
time for a given crontab entry would also be of value.

>I would like to add a warning for the user if they schedule a
>job that happens during the magic hour....

Yes, I think that would be a Good Thing.

>3. cron saves the fact that it's warned the user about this job to the
>file mentioned above, perhaps using an MD5 checksum of the job for
>security?

Not sure this is needed.  Someone goes back into the crontab, if there's
something in there worthy of note, crontab should probably mention it.

It's not unheard of for an SA to set things up a certain way, then go on
to a different position, and for the original SA's successor to have a
bit to clean up....  :-)

Maybe there could be an environment variable to tell crontab that the
person in question doesn't want to hear its nattering....

You asked for comments....,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com	(650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 401-0168