Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 10:37:04 +0100
From:      James Raynard <james@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        dwilde1@ibm.net
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: makes you wonder...

On Sat, Apr 18, 1998 at 10:02:11PM -0700, Don Wilde wrote:
> We _are_ making a difference. InfoWorld is getting downright positive
> about freeware in business, and Network World's editor asked me to speak
> at NW+IOP on the basis of my use and satisfaction with FreeBSD.

Great!  But there's little sign of it here (UK) so far - Linux is
only mentioned in computer magazines, and then only in passing, and
FreeBSD seems practically unheard of.

Actually, a so-called "Advanced Operating Systems Column" took a look
at FreeBSD last month (only 4 years after the column started, but never
mind).  You know, the kind of thing where they spend one month's column
on describing all the problems they had getting an OS up (with the hidden
implication of how clever they were to overcome them) and then the next
month giving their impressions of it (with perhaps a bit more the month
after that if they were really impressed).  Unfortunately, and I use the
word advisedly, he had a completely smooth installation over the Internet,
which left him with nothing much more to write than "I plugged in my modem,
tapped a few keys and that was it really" - so he devoted the remaining
two pages of his column to some Linux gismo.  Sometimes quality can be a
drawback...

Oh well, at least it's a start.

--
`"regression testing"? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it
 boots up it is perfect.' - Linus Torvalds on linux-kernel