Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 17:16:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charlie Sorsby <crs@hgo.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.5 Installation Problems

A quick question to see if there's something obvious that I'm doing
wrong.  I took notes this time around but haven't had time to type
them in yet.

Yesterday or day before, I installed 2.2.5 from the Walnut Creek
CDROM on my system, having finally bought a second hard drive.

My objective was to install 2.2.5 on the second hard drive, leaving
(for the time being) W95 and FreeBSD 2.1.5 on the first.  My
thinking was that I would have a working FreeBSD (2.1.5) actually to
use and then I could get 2.2.5 set up the way I want it at my
leisure, eventually, giving its disk space to 2.2.5.

Well, as the feller said, "The best laid plans of mice and men ..."
Smart feller, that.  Robbie Burns, wasn't it?

Here's a quick summary (I'll include the part about X configuration
for completeness but my real question will be about the boot manager.

During installation, at the X configuration part of the process, I
was asked it I wanted the XF86Setup approach and tried it.  Well,
when it said "...  This may take a while." it did--and then instead
of putting me into XF86Setup or giving me a second chance at
selecting XF86config, it jumped to the screen that asks if I want
to browse the package collection!

Anyway, I decided not to fool with configuring X at that time and
proceeded.  After the point where the popup warns about rebooting
the system, things appeared to be normal as far a I could guess
what normal might be.

When it got to the point where the boot manager gives a choice, I
was given three choices--alright so far, I thought.  The choices
were F1 for W95, F2 for BSD (2.1.5), and F5 for BSD (2.2.5).  I
pressed F5 and it actually booted to 2.2.5.  Well, I fiddled with
it for a while and then decided to boot back to 2.1.5 for a while
(where X is running).  When, later, I tried to boot back to 2.2.5
the boot manager went into some kind of infinite loop as soon as I
pressed F5, ignoring my F5 presses--well, not exactly, it kept
switching between the two boot managers (that on the second disk
seems only to have two choices (F2 & F5, as I recall).  As long as
I pressed F5 or allowed the default to kick in, it kept switching
back and forth.

I had, of course, removed the installation CDROM from the drive
during the initial post-installation boot process (although the
popup only warns about floppies).

Eventually, I pressed F2 and got back to 2.1.5 which booted *almost*
normally.  The departure from normalcy that I noticed was that right
after selecting F2, it produced the following complaints:

Can't find file, boot.conf.
Can't find file, boot.help.

Then it proceeded to boot (normally as far as I could tell).

Well, right after I had switched back to 2.1.5 the first time, I
had put the live-file-system CDROM into the drive to look at it.
Never thinking for a moment that any but the installation CDROM
would be bootable, it never occurred to me to remove that CDROM
from the drive when I decided to boot back to 2.2.5 and--guess
what!?!--it's bootable.  So there I was, back in the installation
process.  As soon as possible, I exited that and removed the CDROM
and rebooted.  It was right after that, that I first experienced
the boot-manager infinite loop.

Well, thinking that, somehow, I'd managed to screw something up
when I'd inadvertently (who'd have expected the live-file-system
CDROM also to be bootable) booted to the installation software, I
decided to reinstall.

I first had time to do that this afternoon and did so.  No help!
The boot manager behaves precisely as it had done.

Since it may be relevant, here's what I did during disk
configuration.

Having read somewhere that it was necessary to select both disks to
get the boot manager, etc. on both, I selected each disk in turn in
the fdisk part of the process but quit out of it immediately for
the first disk (sd0).  I selected "all" for the FBSD slice of the
second disk.  Accepted installation of the boot manager for both
disks.

I then selected s1 as the disk to which to install FBSD.

In the next screen (partitioning the disk) I did mount-points-only
for sd0, giving dummy mount points (mnt0 through mnt3) so that I
could mount these partitions on 2.2.5 to facilitate using stuff in
those partitions in 2.2.5.  I then partitioned the new disk, s1.
When I returned to 2.1.5, I created mount point and edited
/etc/fstab and added mount instructions for the s1 partitions for
the same reason.  Here's "df -k" output as produced in 2.1.5:

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0a       31775    15495    13738    53%    /
/dev/sd0s1     208592   149500    59092    72%    /dos
/dev/sd0s2g    653279   433520   167497    72%    /home
/dev/sd0s2f   1017327   799841   136100    85%    /usr
/dev/sd0s2e     63567     9686    48796    17%    /var
procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc
/dev/sd1s1a     31775    13650    15583    47%    /root.225
/dev/sd1s1d    915636        1   842385     0%    /usr.news.225
/dev/sd1s1e    992751   576549   336782    63%    /usr.225
/dev/sd1s1f    127151     5864   111115     5%    /var.225
/dev/sd1s1g    992751      302   913029     0%    /home.225
/dev/sd1s1h    992751   492869   420462    54%    /usr.local.225

The sd1 names reflect their mount points in 2.2.5 and the sd0 FBSD
partitions are, as I recall, mnt0, mnt1, mnt2, and mnt3 in the
order shown above in 2.2.5.  (I guess I could simply have provide
the contents of /etc/fstab from the 2.2.5 disk for you.)

Well, I hope that someone who reads this will have some suggestion
as to what I've done wrong.  Naturally, if you would like more
information, I'll be happy to supply anything that I can.

Does FreeBSD make an installation log like SunOS 4.x used to do?
I can't recall ever having seen anything to suggest that it does
or, if it does, where I might find it.

As you may be able to tell, I pretty much had to guess what to try
to do to install a second FreeBSD on a separate disk.  I posted a
query to the comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc news group but never say
any response.

Thanks for any help you can provide and please let me know if I can
provide any further information.  I'll type my notes in as soon as
time permits and then they'll be available.  Jordan once posted an
invitation to comment upon the installation software--i.e. where
one had trouble, etc.  Maybe I'll eventually send a copy of my
notes to him.  There are a few areas that I found anything but
intuitive and some where I got to a point that, as far as I could
tell, the only way to recover from a typing error was to abort the
installation and start over.

Charlie Sorsby
	crs@hgo.net