Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 18:00:18 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: next stages in devfs

> THere are a few stages that need to be taken for devfs at this point.
> Some of them need discussion:
>
> removable media:
>   how do we detect that they have changed?
>   this is ok for SCSI, as the first access after a change will
> have the usual effect.. (annoying but safe).
> but there is no way to know that the floppy has changed (is there?,
> I heard recently that there is actually a way to tell this under AT or
> newer machines (that's everything with a 386 or greater).
> does anyone have any info on this?

ATAPI gives you the same basic behaviour as SCSI.  Some removable ATA
drives also appear to have this feature.

All of the media-changed mechanisms I'm familiar with are
response-based, ie. you only find out about the change when you try to
access the device.

You can adopt an active strategy for dealing with this.  I would
propose that a device that supports removable media should register a
periodic callback.  The callback, when invoked, should check the status
of the device.  This would effectively let you generate asynchronous
media change notifications.

Floppy drives, as has been mentioned, are problematic.  8(

> * The LS120  driver hasn't been integrated.. can someone who has one
> 	let me know so I can co-ordinate that..

I can lend you an ATAPI Zip and/or LS-120 for this.  Let me know if you
need it.

> What is a good naming scheme for extended partitions?

We have one that works just fine, as has been observed.