Date:      Fri, 01 May 1998 20:52:38 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   cvs woes

My 2.2.6-stable machine has demonstrated a proclivity to lock up at
about the tail end of an "cd /usr/ports && cvs -q update -d" (but only
when pppd is dialed out and Netscape Navigator 3.01 is up). Not sure if
it really cured the problem but I replaced a year old /etc/login.conf
and have run cvs several times now under those conditions without a
problem. No problem other than the mess I made crashing while running
cvs.

Now my src and ports directories are not what they should be. Output
looks like this:

# cd /usr/ports
# cvs -q update -d
? databases/postgresql/work
? editors/nvi-m17n/work
? games/icbm3d
? games/seabattle
? games/xskewb
[...]

A while back I found a trailing -d on my cvs command line was needed to
create new directories found in the cvs repository. Is this correct?

Understand the */work auestions but not the rest. So I found some disk
space elsewhere an checked out another copy:

# cd /r/usr1
# cvs -d /home/ncvs -q checkout -r HEAD ports

Then a "diff -r /usr/ports/games/icbm3d /r/usr1/ports/games/icbm3d"
indicates the questioned directories are missing CVS directories.
Performing a checkout on top of an existing checked out directory
doesn't appear to add the missing CVS directories.

Have attempted removing the questioned directories. No more complaints
from cvs, but the directories are not restored after an update.

I use cvsup to update my /home/ncvs.

Short of "rm -rf /usr/{ports,src}" and starting over, how can I correct
this mess? (/usr/src is in the same state)