Date:      Sat, 9 May 1998 17:27:02 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Kurt Jones <kurt@woftam.com.au>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems building a kernel

On Sat,  9 May 1998 at 17:41:08 +1000, Kurt Jones wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am trying to build a custom kernel, starting with the GENERIC kernel and
> commenting out those things I don't need. I can build the GENERIC kernel
> without difficulty (although it does take about an hour on my P90, is that
> normal?) but it keeps failing to build my custom version. I have tried
> making fewer and fewer alterations to the GENERIC kernel in an effort to
> identify my mistake.
>
> When it fails it reports this:
>
> ../../kern/uipc_usrreq.c: In function `unp_internalize' :
> ../../kern/uipc_usrreq.c:696: parse error before character 0343
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
>
> Where do I start looking?

It tells you: ../../kern/uipc_usrreq.c:696.  In English, this means
the file /usr/src/sys/kern/uipc_usrreq.c, line 696.  The problem it
finds is a character 0343, which translates to ã, certainly not what
you would expect to find there.  In version 2.2.6, the line should be:

	register struct cmsghdr *cm = mtod(control, struct cmsghdr *);

I'd guess you have a corrupted file.

Greg