Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 10:41:11 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <aklemm@hightek.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   nfs exported FreeBSD cvs repository, mounted on client, update problems

Hi !

I have one machine (server) carrying the FreeBSD cvs repository.
This machine exports the cvs tree to several FreeBSD client machines.

On the server:
	/etc/exports:
	/export  -alldirs    client1 client2

On the clients I use the automounter.
Client setup:
	ln -s /host/server/export/ncvs /home/ncvs
	setenv CVSROOT /home/ncvs

Then I try to update my sources on the client:

root@client1 [150] [/usr/src] cvs update -P
cvs update: Updating .
cvs update: failed to create lock directory in repository `/home/ncvs/src': Permission denied
cvs update: failed to obtain dir lock in repository `/home/ncvs/src'
cvs [update aborted]: read lock failed - giving up

Is there a way to avoid this lock ?
Or would I have in this case to give root write permissions on the
NFS Server (ugly) ?
Or would I have to rearrange things, to checkout and update the
sources as user != root ?

How do you arrange these things if you only want to have one machine
cvsupping the repository to update several FreeBSD machines ?

Do you checkout the src tree on the server and mount the updated
source tree on severyl clients ? Or does every machine have it's
own checked out source tree, which I would prefer, since not
every machine is perhaps a candidate for an upgrade ?

	Andreas ///

--
B&K Gruppe - Wuppertal                                    <aklemm@hightek.com>
phone +49 202 7399 - 170                                 <andreas@FreeBSD.ORG>