Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 12:44:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        dstacey@bigpond.com (David Stacey)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where do you download the OS?

David Stacey wrote:

> I want to get freebsd, but it seems that you have made it so difficult that I wont be able to use it.

	DISCLAIMER: I am not associated with the FreeBSD Project.
	DISCLAIMER: I do not speak for them, nor necessarily share their
	DISCLAIMER: attitudes.
	DISCLAIMER: I am particularly prone to the fault of flaming.

This OS is /not/ hard to install. However, it is a complicated
system, with endless variations and capabilities, and is /not/ a
point-click job. It is /not/ another kind of Windows. Windows
NT-Server with all its optional bells and whistles is a sort of
stripped down, compacted, defeatured Unix system. Unix is /not/
designed for a maiden voyage on the Sea of Digits. "Some assembly
required" "Read the instruction manual before unpacking!" -- Most
of us like it that way; you will too, I hope.

> firstly, which directories do I need to get this thing to work?  Your web page just points to ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.6-RELEASE which is of no use to me whatsoever.  The web page should have links to each file that is required for the inst

Reconsider the uselessness of that ftp dir, since that's the /main
part/ of the distribution.  The CDROMs will look just like it.

However, it's /easier/ than that. In fact, the system /will install
itself/ from friendly menus, if you give it a chance.  You need
exactly two files: the install floppy image and a DOG program to
copy it to a floppy disk. (And where might a floppy image be?
Possibly in the directory named "floppies". And where might a tool
be? in "tools" or "utils" maybe? How to find out!?! Read the
README.TXT in floppies/README.TXT.  The install procedure knows
what files it needs; you don't need to know them. You'll be offered
some very high-level choices about how you want your system configured
and loaded, and there will be online help available.

Keep your first installation simple. It's easy to expand it later.
(Easier, in fact, than installing all at once). You'll probably be
happiest installing from the CDROM set.

I'd suggest you go back to that -RELEASE directory and read INSTALL.TXT
and README.TXT and a bunch of other stuff from this group:

-rw-r--r--   1 2035  207     8884 Mar 25 03:29 ABOUT.TXT
-rw-r--r--   1 2035  207     4455 May 12 04:15 ERRATA.TXT
-rw-r--r--   1 2035  207    18893 Mar 26 15:47 HARDWARE.TXT
-rw-r--r--   1 2035  207    23661 Mar 25 03:29 INSTALL.TXT
-rw-r--r--   1 2035  207     4514 Mar 25 03:29 LAYOUT.TXT
-rw-r--r--   1 2035  207     3906 Mar 25 03:29 README.TXT
-rw-r--r--   1 2035  207     2569 Mar 26 15:47 RELNOTES.TXT
-rw-r--r--   1 2035  207    11734 Mar 25 03:29 TROUBLE.TXT
-rw-r--r--   1 2035  207     7797 Mar 25 03:29 UPGRADE.TXT

> could you please give me the absolute ftp address where I can locate all of the files required to get it running?

You already have it. There is also a very long html handbook at
the /web/ (not /ftp/) site, www.freebsd.org.

Sorry for flaming, but you seem /impatient, confrontational, and
clueless/, attributes that do not augur well for the future.  This
is a volunteer effort, remember.  Cluelessness is not a sin, and
is something that we can cure quickly, if you'll drop the
impatient+confrontational part.  You will find a level of support
and assistance here that is, probably, beyond your previous
experiences with other software, and is equivalent to the kind of
tech support that is available elsewhere for steep hourly rates,
if at all. The qualifications of the people who will help you on
this list are quite impressive -- these are not US$5/hr interns
with paper certificates from Bill G's Silly Skool.

Clue 0: You will catch more flies with honey, than with vinegar.

Clue 1: Format your mail to 72 columns!  Some people (me among
them) routinely delete posts that are malformatted.

Clue 2: People will assume that you have read things named "README.TXT"
Once your system is installed, the same assumption will apply to
man pages.

My remarks will probably apply to NetBSD, OpenBSD and Linux, too.

I've given you 90 minutes of my time: what I ask in return is for
you to spend 90 minutes reading the web page and the .TXT files in
the distribution. Deal?

Getting the CDs in Australia... Someone will probably tell you the
precise place(s), but visiting www.cdrom.com might reveal this
info. They're the folks (Walnut Creek), who make and vend the
cdroms, and ship all over the planet. I'd be shocked if they don't
have a branch or affiliate in Oz.

D.V.
--
	DISCLAIMER: I am not associated with the FreeBSD Project.
	DISCLAIMER: I do not speak for them, nor necessarily share their
	DISCLAIMER: attitudes.
	CLAIMER: I like 'em, though :)