Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 10:43:18 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk115 slow ?

[ JDK 1.1.5 slower than the VM in netscape 3 ]
> > Are you using netscape 4 or netscape 3?  If netscape 3, then the
>
> netscape3 -- I hate it when the new version of a program is twice the
> size of the previous one.  When i have the need for the new features i
> will consider paying the penalty.

The difference in VM is the problem here.  JDK1.0 is a lean and mean VM,
and JDK1.1 is NOT.

> > difference is probably one of JDK1.0 vs. JDK1.1.  JDK1.0 is much
> > smaller, and hence much faster. :(
>
> hmm... shouldn't the Java virtual machine be the same -- or possibly
> faster ?

No, it's bigger/buggier/more featureful, and although it has backwards
compatability it's *huge* compared to JDK1.0.

They call it progress, but as you point out above upgrading to a newer
version must be justified.

In short, it's not FreeBSD's problem. ;(

Nate

ps. If you want an old JDK1.0 version, Jeff Hsu's port should still be
available for JDK1.0 somewhere.  It's a pretty lean JDK.