Date:      Mon, 01 Jun 1998 18:11:03 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernfs/procfs questions...

> Mike Smith said:
> >
> > With the recent discussions regarding emulation of Linux' procfs, as
> > well as other comments on the general topic, I'm wondering what the
> > feeling is with regard to other, not-specifically-process-related data
> > in procfs.
> >
> > The Linux model is to have a separate directory for the kernel
> > (/proc/kern or similar).  This keeps the root-level clutter down, but
> > does "pollute" the namespace.
> >
> > Thet NetBSD folks have something similar (although the implementation
> > still seems a bit raw) with their 'kernfs', which they mount on /kern,
> > keeping the separation between the two clear.
> >
> > Does anyone have any strong opinions?  Justifications?
> >
> I much prefer sysctl, being a convert from the kernfs camp.  Procfs
> is just bogus, not well thought out re-invention (IMO.)  It seems that
> the pseudo-MIB scheme of sysctl is nice.

Personally, I like the basic idea (unified hierarchical namespace,
method-based access, etc), but sysctl (and kernfs') implementation is
unpleasantly inflexible.

I also agree with Garrett that the filesystem metaphor isn't half bad
when it comes to at least basic access control for parameters, and this
is where either the Linux or NetBSD approaches lead the way.

I'm also swayed in that we *do* need to follow the Linux lead at least
to the point where we can run their binaries with a reasonable degree
of success, so there's a little pressure on the border.