Date:      Thu, 02 Jul 1998 18:09:15 PDT
From:      "David Caldwell" <caldwell_david@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Here is a really odd question!!!

Hello,
My name is David Caldwell and I have a question that is sure to generate
some curiosity amongst those who read it (as well as some laughs).
I would like to know if this is a "good" operating system to start a
young mind in learning to use a computer?
Here is what I am proposing so that you will get a better understanding
of what I am asking for.
I have a9 year old daughter and an 8 year old son who both have more
curiosity about "how does your computer work Dad???" than I did when I
bought my first TRS-80 model 3.My son at this moment is having some
difficulty with his reading skills and doesn't really try that hard when
I try to coax him into reading to me,so I thought that I would use his
"want to know about a computer" to good use and set him up with a crash
box 486 and a totally different operating system than the windows unit
that he sees me working with.
My theory is that UNIX and operating systems that work like it will
never die and they are fairly complex to understand,they require a fair
amount of reading to be done before trying to make additions or changes
and the rewards for working at it can be immense.
So we will kill several birds with one stone:his reading will improve,he
will learn to type,he will know more about a computer (satisfying his
curiosity),and the knowledge that he gains and the skills he learns will
give him confidence.
Anyone can use DOS and Windows but it take a fair amount of brains to
use UNIX and not crash it while maneuvering thru it.
Am I barking up the wrong tree or should I go for it....any input would
be most helpful and from more than one source would be
appreciated...especially one with kids.
I am at a loss as far as my daughters math skills but any suggestions
there would be helpful.
Thanks,
David Caldwell