Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 11:39:42 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        gkshenaut@ucdavis.edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: caps-lock/ctrl exchange

Greg Shenaut:
 |This may be a very dumb question, but I haven't been able to find
 |the answer to it.  I have several computers with the traditional
 |ctrl-next-to-A layout, and an increasing number with the bogus
 |but IBM-mandated ctrl-lost-somewhere-down-next-to-the-space-bar
 |layout, some of which are laptops so that I cannot just use an
 |alternate keyboard.  There *must* be a way to swap these keys in
 |a way that will work with the standard console as well as with X
 |windows.  Could someone please tell me how to do it?  (A compile
 |time flag would be fine, a sysctl variable even better, an ioctl
 |on the kbd device would be best.)

I swap these keys on the console and on X myself.  Much easier on the
fingers, especially in Emacs (Ctrl-<insert-key-here>).

I see Johnathon already told you about how to do it on the console.  For X,
simply create file (e.g. $HOME/cfg/xmodmap/swapctlcaps) with this in it:

     !
     ! Swap Caps_Lock and Control_L
     !
     remove Lock = Caps_Lock
     remove Control = Control_L
     keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
     keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
     add Lock = Caps_Lock
     add Control = Control_L

and add this command to your $HOME/.xinitrc:

     xmodmap - < $HOME/cfg/xmodmap/swapctlcaps

Randall