Date:      Sat, 1 Aug 1998 00:25:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        joed@rockisland.com (Joe)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: T-shell

Joe wrote:
> I recently installed FreeBSD ver. 2.2.6 on my laptop.  I'm trying to
> install the T-shell, but I don't know how to put it on a floppy in a format
> that FreeBSD will read.  I don't have a network or modem connection at this
> time with the laptop, but I can use my PC.  Is there any hope?

I'll assume that there's one file, a tar file, that you want to move.

Get you a perfect floppy.

On the PC:
	<insert floppy>
	disklabel -r -w fd0.1440 fd1440
	newfs fd0.1440
	mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
	cp the.tar.gz /mnt/the.tar.gz
	umount /mnt
	<remove floppy>

On the laptop:
	<insert floppy>
	mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
	cp /mnt/the.tar.gz the.tar.gz
	umount /mnt
	<remove floppy>

This is the method called "floppy-net" or "sneaker-net".

The "right" way is to connect the laptop to the PC via a serial
cable (null modem type), and use kermit or minicom or whatever, or
setup ppp for it. This I have not done with fbsd.

Dave
--
Sancho Panza: `Microsoft Windows NT Server is the most secure network
	operating system available.'