Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 17:01:29 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: receiving mail directly

At 05:16 PM 8/10/98 +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
>On Monday, 10 August 1998 at 19:10:54 +1200, Dan Langille wrote:
>> On 10 Aug 98, at 16:13, Greg Lehey wrote:
>Probably the easiest way is to check the Makefiles...  ah:
>
># NOTE:  The fetchmailconf program (an interactive program for
># writing .fetchmailrc files) requires Python, found in the Ports
># Collection under lang/python.  The fetchmail program itself
># does not need Python, so there is no RUN_DEPENDS for Python in
># this Makefile.

But it fails if Python isn't installed. And installing python and tk isn't
fair either...so the Makefile should check if Python is installed before
attempting to use python.
But the installation failed at a non-python part, if I remember correctly.
The work/fetchmail-blah/Makefile has a line under install: which begins
with ${LN}, which isn't defined on my system. I ended up changing the line
to a cp line and gzipped the referenced manfiles myself. Also, that
Makefile defines a few INSTALL_blah environment variables, which seemed to
need switching-around.

>Just to see if this was correct, I made and installed the package.  I
>had no problems.  This was with the latest version (updated 26 July).
>If you have problems with that version, let me know.
>
>Greg

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com ludwigp@chipweb.ml.org
ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org