Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 14:15:33 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        "Jeff W." <dmt@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD takes 8 years to boot up

> Well, not literally, but a damn long time.  I know I have to reconfigure
> the kernel to only probe for the devices known to exist, but after doing
> that, it still takes a long time.  I notice the lag right after it detects
> my hard drive, and then another lag after detecting the CDROM.  Is there a
> way around this, or should I just get used to getting up for a drink while
> FreeBSD loads?

The reason for the delay is it waits a while to detect other IDE devices you
might have and waits a while before giving up. If you're only using one
controller, then disable the other one in the config screen. If however you
have, say, a HD on chain 1, and a CDROM on chain 2, then you need to
explicitly disable 'disk wd?' entries.

So, if you had a HD as master on chain 1 and a CDROM as master on chain to,
change the lines in your kernel config file which read
'disk            wd1     at wdc0 drive 1'
'disk		 wd1	 at wcd0 disable drive 1'
do the same for the wd3 line.

|Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer for Genesis Software |
|http://www.gsoft.com.au                                            |
|The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to|
|choose from. -- Andrew Tanenbaum                                   |