Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 22:16:33 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        committers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make.conf

[ Large CC list to people already on committers killed ]

I will likely hate myself in the morning for getting involved in
this discussion, but oh well....

I just reviewed the contents of /etc/make.conf.  Although it does allow you
to set a few variables that may apply to any bmaked compile, almost every
entry in there is specific to either the FreeBSD src or ports tree.  Why is
it then included by sys.mk?  It seems to me that the src and ports tree
provided by FreeBSD should pull in configuration information in a fashion
that is localized to the particular tree being built.  How exactly to do
this without killing the ability to build from a read only source tree, I
don't know, but the current situation is certainly broken in my eyes.  If
an administrator wishes to modify the behavior of every bmake on the
system, they should do it in /usr/share/mk, but today I have to be very
careful of how I modify /etc/make.conf to insure that it doesn't disrupt
the build of the non-FreeBSD source related, bmaked projects, I happen to
compile under FreeBSD.  I don't want to constantly modify my /etc/make.conf
between builds with different requirements.  I don't want to debug strange
make failures caused by make variable name collisions. etc. etc.

If others share this view, perhaps we should work towards providing a
mechanism for our user community to configure how the system src trees
are built that is completely localized to the source files we wish to
target.

--
Justin