Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 1998 02:13:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        cdcd@thepentagon.com (cdcd)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: default logins

cdcd wrote:
> What are the default logins & passwords (if they even exist), for users
> like games, daemon, nobody, etc.

Most of these users don't login, so don't have home directories or passwords.
They /mostly/ own things. setuid binaries may become "daemon"
or whatever. Often root-privilege daemons will become one of these
users (daemon, often) to give up root privilege when it is no longer
needed.

Nobody is nobody: the least possible user. he has an "account", i.e.
he has a uid, but should own no files. The script that builds
the 'locate' database (a list of many of the files on the system),
changes its uid to "nobody" and gid to group "nobody", to avoid
listing entries files that no ordinary user should see.

uucp is if you're caught in a time warp around 1988 and need to run
the old uucp networking stuff. (You already know if you need this).

you might activate operator, if you're a large site and need
a non-root account for operators. I don't know the real utility of this.
(Usually taking care of tape drives and line printers. Also the
card punch and reader :)

> [quit your snickering, I'm new to the BSD scene...]

Nah, a dumb question is along the lines of "Why can't I read the
programs on the other side of the cdrom?"

Dave
--
             Su accion letal comienza en pocas horas