Date:      Wed, 02 Sep 1998 16:43:21 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why no ldconfig for ELF?

> > You specify the search path at _link_ time with LD_RUN_PATH or the
> > "-R" linker option.  The path is saved in the executable or shared
> > library itself.
>
> How is this a win?  Say I'm taking a binary from somebody who
> installed libXpm in /usr/X11R6/lib, and didn't have a /usr/local/lib,
> which is where my libXpm resides.

Could I ask a big favor of all you folks out there?  Wait and see
what the elf team delivers and then try it out?  Please?  It is a
monumental waste of time and a big annoyance to calm each person's
fears individually.  Please just wait until we have something for you
to look at.  We haven't done too badly so far, after all.  Maybe you
could try trusting us just a tiny bit?  If what we deliver doesn't
work out, we'll deal with it.  Thank you.

PS - Both ${X11BASE}/lib and ${PREFIX}/lib will be in the standard -R
paths for ports.

John