Date:      Sat, 05 Sep 1998 09:09:18 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF -current users: HEADS UP

> John, many of use have huge time investments in /usr/local/lib and
> /usr/X11R6/lib ports-derived libraries.  While I'm definitely going
> to be wanting to transition these to elf, I'd not wanted to have to
> do it suddenly.  How will this ldconfig change affect the fact that
> my elf system still must use many aout libs (and probably will for
> some months ahead)?

If you give it the -aout switch, or if it is running on an a.out
system, or if OBJFORMAT=aout in the environment, the new ldconfig
behaves exactly as it did before.  So if you make the change to
/etc/rc that I suggested, you will see no change whatsoever.

The ldconfig hints for a.out and for ELF are in two completely
separate files.  On a mixed system, you can run ldconfig twice: once
with "-aout" and once with "-elf".  Presumably you would specify
different directories for the two invocations.  The two sets of hints
don't get mixed up with each other.  Just pretend like there are two
ldconfig programs, one for a.out and the other for ELF.  They don't
really interact with each other at all.

All clear now?

John