Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 17:21:52 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Michael Henry" <mhenry@white.ug.cs.usyd.edu.au>
To:        maillist@msn.bc.ca (Ben Pepa)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MAJOR PROBS!

> > Now I can't log in!
>
> You should be able to login as root on the console.  Otherwise, login with
> the -s at the boot prompt to be dropped into single user mode.

Sorry. I should have been more specific. I can log in as root, but not
as a normal user.

> > When I try to I get:
> >
> > 	Sep 19 21:52:06 playground login: _secure_path: cannot stat
> > 	/home/mhenry/.login_conf: Permission denied
> > 	Sep 19 21:52:06 playground login: _secure_path: cannot stat
> > 	/home/mhenry/.login_conf: Permission denied
> >
> > 	login: /usr/local/bin/bash: No such file or directory
> >
> > I can't su to my account either:
> >
> > 	su: /usr/local/bin/bash: Permission denied
> >
> > I have checked and bash exists and all the permissions in it's path
> > are correct, and I never used .login_conf anyway, so I'm all out
> > of ideas.
> >
> > Would anyone like to have a guess?
>
> I just had this happen.  For me, it turned out the permissions on the home
> directories were wrong and everything was owned by root.  Check to make
> sure.

The permissions are all correct.

Did this happen after cvsup for you? I'd like to know what caused it so I
can avoid this in future.

> The permissions for bash were okay for me.  Turned out that the
> permissions on /usr/libexec were also owned by root.  When I chown'ed it
> back to bin:bin, all was well.  Bash seems to need ld.so (like many things
> do) and only logging in as root on the console would work till it was
> fixed.

The permissions are correct, but when I try to use "man" AS ROOT I get:

	Couldn't open /usr/libexec/ld.so.