Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:30:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/8086: "systat -iostat" coredumps when displaying too much history

The following reply was made to PR bin/8086; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To: dg@smp.root.com
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 16:21:02 -0600 (MDT)

 David Greenman wrote...

 > 	"systat -iostat" (numbers mode) will coredump inside the curses
 > 	library if the number of lines of 'history' exceeds 7 lines when
 > 	using a large screen/window size. In my particular case, 128x44,
 > 	with a total of 7 devices being displayed. The traceback looks
 > 	like this:
 >
 > #0  0x20026551 in __set_subwin ()
 > #1  0x20025c1a in wrefresh ()
 > #2  0x20024bf4 in wrefresh ()
 > #3  0x37f6 in display (signo=14) at main.c:207
 > #4  <signal handler called>
 > #5  0x200afaea in read ()
 > #6  0x2009da4d in __srefill ()
 > #7  0x2009d90a in __srget ()
 > #8  0x2002302d in wgetch ()
 > #9  0x2fde in keyboard () at keyboard.c:56
 > #10 0x3590 in main (argc=2, argv=0xefbfda38) at main.c:158

 I saw this when I was porting systat to use the devstat code.  It appears
 to be some sort of curses problem, but I'm really not sure.  It could also
 be a result of some weird memory leak in the devstat library somewhere.

 I think it is actually related to showing two or more rows of devices,
 which happens when you're displaying more than 3 devices.

 I'm really swamped at the moment, and I probably won't be able to look at
 this for a while.  (after 3.0 at the least)  If someone else wants to try
 to track this down, please feel free.  If the problem trail leads down into
 the devstat code, I'll be glad to try and help you debug it.  (I don't know
 anything about curses, so I won't be of much use there.)

 Ken
 --
 Kenneth Merry
 ken@plutotech.com