Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 12:58:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "David L. Vondrasek" <david@davidv.iadfw.net>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Samba/WIN95/FREEBSD-Printing

On 30-Sep-98 Dan Busarow wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, David L. Vondrasek wrote:
>> I guess you didn't rean what I wrote did you ?
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> If you did you missed this part were * I read the man pages*
>> but thanks for your helpful suggestion.
>
> If you tried smbclient \\server\printer -P (which is pretty clearly
> what you want based on the man page), what happened?
>
> A little more detail is required.
>
> Dan

This is what I get.

david@workbox:/home/david : smbclient \\barstool\HP66C -P
Usage: smbclient service <password> [-p port] [-d debuglevel] [-l log]
Version 1.9.18p8
        -p port               connect to the specified port
        -d debuglevel         set the debuglevel
        -l log basename.      Basename for log/debug files
        -n netbios name.      Use this name as my netbios name
        -N                    don't ask for a password
        -P                    connect to service as a printer
        -M host               send a winpopup message to the host
        -m max protocol       set the max protocol level
        -L host               get a list of shares available on a host
        -I dest IP            use this IP to connect to
        -R name resolve order use these name resolution services only
        -E                    write messages to stderr instead of stdout
        -U username           set the network username
        -W workgroup          set the workgroup name
        -c command string     execute semicolon separated commands
        -t terminal code      terminal i/o code
{sjis|euc|jis7|jis8|junet|hex}
        -T<c|x>IXgbNa          command line tar
        -D directory          start from directory

\barstoolHP66C: Not enough '\' characters in service

And HP66C is the printers name:
david@workbox:/home/david : smbclient -L barstool
Added interface ip=10.124.239.13 bcast=10.124.239.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
startlmhosts: Can't open lmhosts file /usr/local/etc/lmhosts. Error was
No such file or directory
Got a positive name query response from 10.124.239.11 ( 10.124.239.11 )
Server time is Wed Sep 30 12:56:54 1998
Timezone is UTC-5.0
security=share

Server=[BARSTOOL] User=[] Workgroup=[WORKGROUP] Domain=[]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        ADMIN$         Disk
        C-BARSTOOL     Disk
--->>>  HP66C          Printer
        IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication
        PRINTER$       Disk

NOTE: There were share names longer than 8 chars.
On older clients these may not be accessible or may give browsing errors

This machine has a workgroup list:

        Workgroup            Master
        WORKGROUP            BARSTOOL

Thanks..

---
David Vondrasek                                 byteme@airmail.net

--You mean you paid MONEY for Service Pack '98????