Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 1998 17:34:39 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recycling boot prompt

On Wednesday, 30 September 1998 at 23:48:43 -0700, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Installed and running, FreeBSD-2.2.7.  At least for awhile....
> After initial basic install.   I went back and ftp installed some of the
> `packages' to get a more usefull installation. Very time consuming of
> course.  I've put a line in Lilo.conf on a linux install (same disk)
> to boot BSD.  It has worked a few times.
>
> After the ftp package install.  On reboot, I get to lilo, select BSD
> then get a prompt that keeps trying to start booting but only returns
> to a `boot prompt' in a second or two.  Cycles endlessly.  I wasn't
> able to see how to enter in a diagnostic mode or something to try to
> see what might be wrong.
>
> Whats likely to be causing this.    I tried just booting linux and
> rerunning `lilo'  but got the same result.
> I hate to reinstall now because of the installed packages getting
> zapped.  Takes too long to get them again.

Agreed.  Reinstallation isn't the way to go.

> Trying to do something with the `fixit' floppy.  Soon as this is posted.

Don't need to use fixit.  Boot floppy is enough.  Try:

  boot: wd(0)kernel

Assumes that FreeBSD installed on first IDE disk.  If on second,
prompt is:

  boot: wd(1)kernel

If SCSI disk, use sd instead of wd.

If not working, let us know with description of messages.

Greg