Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 1998 14:00:22 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        dkelly@hiwaay.net, remy@synx.com, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ahc & CAM: strange diagnostic

[ -current trimmed off the CC list ]

Doug White wrote...

> > > I've 6 of them along with 2 Atlas and the 9G 10K IBM are really going
> > > hot (in all meaning of the word :)). An interesting thing is that they
> > > feature a temp. probe that can be read through status pages.
> > > Environmental 21 deg.C give a 35/37 deg.C internal temp.
> >
> > Any details as to how we too might be able to play with the temperature
> > status probe you mention? My 7.2k 9G IBM drive might support it too.
>
> It's on mode page 0, somewhere :)  Someone needs to grab the software
> interface so we can add the variable names to mode_pages.  That or a
> secret-ring-decoder for the bytes returned by 'camcontrol modepage -m 0'.

I've got the databook for 18XP and the 9LP, and the only parameter in mode
page 0 that's related to temperature is the thing that lets you specify the
temperature threshold.  It is byte 9 of modepage 0.  The description in the
manual says:

"Byte 9 specifies the threshold value in Celsius for the thermal sensor
warning message.  The termpature threshold can be adjusted in the range: 6C
through 65C.  A value of 0 selects the default threshold which depends on
which electronics card is installed in the drive.  All other values above
or below the adjustable range select the range limit to which they are
closest.

"Note:  The casting temperature may be different than that reported by the
sensor due to the sensor being located on the electronics card rather than
the casting."

It looks like you can set the temperature threshold value, but you can't
read it.  (which fits the output of byte 9 of modepage 0 on my 9ZX -- it's
0)

I looked around in the log page descriptions and in all the mode page
descriptions, and I couldn't find a place that specified the current
temperature of the drive.

> My UltraStor 9ES 4Gig UltraWide (DDRS-34560W)[1] doesn't appear to support
> it, according to the IBM specs. A link to the feature's technote
> (Drive-TIP) shows up for the 18XL (10krpm, 9 & 18GB sizes).  They even
> show the chip location on the back side of the hard disk controller board.
> (out of view of course)

The 18XL is a 7200 RPM drive.  The 9ZX is their only 10000 RPM drive.

I'm kinda annoyed that IBM doesn't put their drive manuals on the web.
Quantum provides SCSI specs for their products on the web, which is very
handy.

So, Remy, you wanna tell us which log or mode page you're looking at?

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com