Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 1998 20:05:20 -0400
From:      Lee Cremeans <lee@st-lcremean.tidalwave.net>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slowly going blind ;-)

On Fri, Oct 02, 1998 at 03:44:33PM -0700, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, Malartre wrote:
>
> >I was having a really good vision has I can remember from 1 year or so.
> >Now I'm a little bit paranoic and I'm always checking how I see since I
> >am on a computer. I have the paranoiac not so fun feeling than my vision
> >is slowly decreasing.
> >Are there any study/link on how can a computer screen damage your eye?
> >I have a 0.28 17" screen with a 1024X768 resolution.
> >Anyone here who have done 20 year of computing without wearing glasses?
> >:-)
>
> I can share my personal experience with you.
>
> I have been wearing glasses for fifteen years. I have been heavy into
> computing for the last four. During long sessions my eyes get tired and I
> find that it is harder to focus. (I also have a shitty monitor.) When I
> get rest my vision is better.
>
> My doctor prescribed a different prescription for computing. I haven't
> bought it yet. (No money.) But a little examination in the office made me
> think she was right on with the different prescription.

For me, glasses have always been a fact of life, and I started computing
when I was 6 (1983). I was born really nearsighted, and for all of
elementary school, and most of HS, had to wear glasses with huge plastic
lenses. I got contacts in 1994, and have never gone back. :)

I must say, though, that after hours of staring at computer screens every
day, then driving 20 miles to/from home, my eyes get pretty tired. It's
always nice to be able to pull my contacts out before I go to bed...gives
them a good break.

PS: I also run my 15" monitor at 1152x864 with no ill effects. :)

--
Lee Cremeans -- Manassas, VA, USA  (WakkyMouse on DALnet and WTnet)
A! JW223 YWD+++^ri P&B++ SL+++^i GDF B&M KK--i MD+++i P++ I++++ Did