Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 17:45:09 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Steve <bagpipe@itis.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: download

Steve wrote:

> How long will it take [to download] ?

How the hell do we answer this when we don't know how fast your modem
is? Also, how much do you want to download? If you just get bin and
It didn't take me too long...

The full source tree for 3.0-BETA is <fx: waiting for du to finish...>
215 megs. (This took quite a while to checkout over a 28.8k modem...)

> What do I need on the boot disk?

Just download the boot.flp file and copy it to a floppy with fdimage.exe
(in the flopppies and tools folders respectively).

Overall, you need to get

bin/*
manpages/*  (you don't _need_ this, but I couldn't live without them)
src/ssys.*  (ditto, this is for building your own kernel)
floppies/boot.flp
tools/fdimage.exe

All these relative to ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.7-RELEASE/,
or your nearest mirror. It's probably worth waiting a few days though
until 3.0 is released.

(some of the above may be wrong; just look in ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD
and use common sense)

> Will this work with Windows os's (boot loaders)?

Probably.

--
Ben Smithurst : ben@scientia.demon.co.uk : http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/

PGP: 0x99392F7D - 3D 89 87 42 CE CA 93 4C  68 32 0E D5 36 05 3D 16
     http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/ben/pgp-key.html (or use keyservers)