Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 20:23:56 -0400
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, beaupran@jsp.umontreal.ca
Subject:   Re: Splashed root: almost there!

> Hi!
>
> I recently made the mistake of busting (newfs-ing) my root partition. I've
> been able to build the binaries necessaries to run the system, and /usr
> was not damaged. But now, for some obscure reason, the sysinstall program
> rnus on startup... THis is weird, I've rebuilded the kernel, and I can't
> do anything more than run the fixit floppy.
>
> Anything I can do???

I once had the same problem with an installation of Redhat Linux. I'd install,
reboot, and be presented with the installation program again, for reasons
unkown. I repeated the entire installation a couple of times with the same
result. Finally, when I had pulled all but three hairs from my head, I realized
that this computer had one of those newfangled BIOSes that allowed the computer
to boot from the CD. Since I had left the Redhat CD in the drive, that's just
what it did. D'oh!

This probably isn't your problem, but I point it out just in case.

Chris