Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 1998 11:01:54 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Mark" <maf112@psu.edu>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.5 installation

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998 03:56:56 -0400, Mark wrote:

>Unfortunately at this point i am completely clueless since i kinda expected
>something like 4 partitions to be displayed here all of which of the same
>size (I suppose it is possible that FreeBSD doesn't support 8 GB drives or
>2 GB partitions *sigh*)...

You are indeed clueless, thanks to the lack of training you've received
from Mocrosoft ;o)

Are these 4 partitions LOGICAL partitions ??  If so, that's your
problem, you can't install FreeBSD to a DOS LOGICAL partition.  I
suggest that you buy Partition Magic and remove partition F and then
move D and E up next to what used to be G (because once F is gone, G
will become F). Now you'll have 2 GB at the beginning of this disk.
When you use the slice editor during the install, be sure to keep the
root partition within the first 1023 cyls. Which should be the first
528MB (or is it 504). Anyway, a root partition of 300MB will be plenty.
Create seperate /usr  partition. The install docs have more advice
about other partitions within the slice.
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.