Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 01:20:47 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        larry_nilsen <larry_nilsen@eee.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: trying to setup ppp!!

> Hi heres my question when i installed FREEBSD2.2.7 It asked me if i
> wanted
> to do additional network setup. i hit yes thinking this is how i will
> be able to
> configure ppp to reach my ISP and cruse the internet.None of this has
> taken
> place yet.Im starting to feel like i should of answered no to that
> Question.
> Another thing is i noticed in reading the man pages it says when i
> type at the
> command#ppp it should say pppON<AWFULHACK: somthing like this.Mine
> just says pppON> and i know this isnt right.Is there a way to reverse
> what i did

Looks like you haven't got your hostname set up in /etc/rc.conf
(search for ``hostname='').  You'll also need to add that same name
to the end of the line in /etc/hosts that says ``127.0.0.1
localhost'' and change /etc/host.conf so that it says ``hosts''
before ``bind''.

> and start over.Im just going to be a single user that wants to use
> FREEBSD 2.2.7
> to surf the internet "Nothing" fancy Heres is what i see on boot up if
> this helps:
>
> Doing initial network Setup:hostname
> ppp0:flags=8010<POINTTOPOINT,MULTICAST>mtu1500
> lo0:flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST>mtu16384
>      inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
>
> writing to routing socket:Network is unreachable
> add net default:gateway 0.0.0.0:Network is unreachable

You've got a defaultrouter set in /etc/rc.conf.  Change it back to
``defaultrouter="NO"'' and make sure that you've got
/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup saying

MYADDR:
  delete ALL
  add 0 0 HISADDR

> Doing additional network Setup:portmapybindypbind:domainename not set
> Aborting

Don't enable the NIS stuff in /etc/rc.conf either.

> I hope this helps a little? I cp all my etc/ppp/ppp.sample stuff where
> they should go.  so that part should be OK! One more Quick Question
> in my /etc/ppp.conf file i copyied to the pmdemand pap or chap
> to myname which i think is my name i use to my ISP
> my key i put my password i use to login to my ISP
> Can you tell me if i did this right It was a little confusing what to
> put there exactly? I have all my ISP information available if i need
> to redo it

That's correct.  Also, you'll need to add your ``nameserver=x.x.x.x''
lines (you probably have 2 nameservers) to /etc/resolv.conf.  Try
``man resolv.conf'' for details.

>             Thankyou in Advance PS! Ive read the man pages and sill
> not getting it!

Yah, persevere !  You're getting there (compared to where you were a
few days ago) !

Good luck !

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;