Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 10:22:45 -0800
From:      Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Stupid ksh tricks [Was: Re: Changing sh for compatibility sake]

A minor aside regarding some stupid ksh tricks...

My fingers have gotten used to hitting TAB in bash for completing file names.  I'd avoided pdksh only for this one reason.  (Sad, I know.)

I recently dug through the man-page for pdksh and discovered that adding these following lines:

        case "$KSH_VERSION" in
        *"PD KSH"*)
                bind '^I=complete'
                bind '^I^I=complete-list'
                ;;
        esac

to my .kshrc (which is linked to .bashrc for me) and things work just fine.  It's not *exactly* the same output, but it's pretty much the same behavior and so my fingers don't have to be retrained.  I've switched over to pdksh now.

I also have some ksh functions to mimic the csh/bash pushd/popd commands, so if anyone's interested in these, please let me know and I'll email my .kshrc or put it up for ftp.

As an added bonus you also get a function for setting the title bar in several terminal emulators (xterm, hpterm, and Mac NCSA Telnet) to the current directory stack.

	-- Parag