Date:      Sun, 1 Nov 1998 16:20:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/8532: 3.0-RELEASE panics with standard SMP kernel from /sys/i386/conf/SMP-GENERIC

The following reply was made to PR kern/8532; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To: "freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>,
        "rv@fore.com" <rv@fore.com>
Cc:  Subject: Re: kern/8532: 3.0-RELEASE panics with standard SMP kernel from /sys/i386/conf/SMP-GENERIC
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 1998 19:05:42 -0500

 On Sun, 1 Nov 1998 14:56:29 -0800 (PST), rv@fore.com wrote:

 >I am using a Micron Millenia Mme with one Pentium 200Mhz, 160Mb RAM and
 >nothing fancy.

 I think SMP kernels REQUIRE at least 2 CPUs.  See
 http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html

 Follow the link to getting started
 http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/getstarted.html
 and you'll see:
 Important facts:

      The FreeBSD SMP kernel is BETA LEVEL software, use with caution!
      The motherboard must be Intel MP Spec. 1.1 or 1.4 compatible.
      The SMP kernel WILL NOT WORK on a uniprocessor motherboard.

 This is ambigious.  But I think I read that it requires 2 CPUs
 somewhere else...  You might email to the guy who was maintaining these
 pages for clarification...

 Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.