Date:      Sat, 07 Nov 1998 12:48:21 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alphaPC164 boot messages

> Just in case someone more on top of the current state sees something
> in all of this, here's where I get to on the AlphaPC164... The
> prom input device is working at a pont because it passed along
> the Enter I hit below...

Er, this is the BOOTMFS kernel, ie. the installation kernel.  Are you
trying to do a new install, or booting from the harddisk?

sc0 not found
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1: reserved for low-level i/o
sio1 not found

Ok, no video card, you're using the first serial port for the console,
correct?

> ootfs is 2880 Kbyte compiled in MFS
> <<HANGS HERE>>

There should be an 'r' there too, but at this point sysinstall should
have come up and asked you for your terminal type.  Does your serial
console cable have all the flow control signals correctly wired/
bypassed?  (I'm not sure if we need this, but it might be a problem.)