Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 15:06:34 +0100
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [root@inext.ro: Mirroring.]

----- Forwarded message from Valentin_Erich_MIHUT <root@inext.ro> -----

From: root@inext.ro (Valentin_Erich_MIHUT)
To: <wosch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject: Mirroring.
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 12:30:28 +0200

Hi!

I'm planning to move intensively towards Using FreeBSD some of our ISP
applications in the near future.
I appreciate the most the work that the FreeBSD Project is doing and in
return (for the great possibilities it gives to the IT society) I would like
to help the project the most I can.

I would like to establish a mirror of www.freebsd.org to something like
www.ro.freebsd.org or www1.ro.freebsd.org. I suggest this because the actual
www.ro.freebsd.org is hardly accessible (as far as I tried) and the ftp
mirror (ftp.ro.freebsd.org) although it is accessible (slow, because the
connection it stands on is used by a couple thousand students all the time)
won't even respond to a ping or traceroute.

I would like to help this situation by setting up a primarily a www and
within one month a ftp mirror for Romania.
We are a commercial company and we would like to ask u if it is possible for
these mirrors to get the first mirror addresses (www. and ftp. instead of
www1. and ftp1.). This would give us some advertisement benefices as well in
return of the loss in bandwidth. Currently we operate one of the fastest
connections in the western part in Romania and we have a 40% avg. usage on
the inband and 12% avg. usage on the outband (which is the one that
interests downloaders).

I would like to ask you (if agreed) to help us setting up this mirror (first
the www and than the ftp) so we can become operational as smoothly as
possible We would like to ask u to provide us with a CD image of the base
FTP image, which than can be updated on a daily basis with mirror. That will
help us start with the whole distribution set the FTP mirror instead of
starting it first with the stable and then with the current part.

Awaiting suggestions.

Best regards,

Valentin-Erich Mihut
wck@inext.ro