Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 21:23:53 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix and FreeBSD

The Hermit Hacker writes:
> On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, David Kelly wrote:
> > In my experience, FreeBSD is as different from SGI Irix as Irix is
> > different from Sun Solaris, as Solaris is different from FreeBSD.
>
> 	Altho they are all different, they are built on the same
> foundation/premise.  In answer to the original question, yes...knowing
> FreeBSD will *help* you in using commercial Unix later on...it will give
> you the basics to build from, but be prepared to have to seek out answers
> specific to each variant you visit...and each variant out there has their
> "niceties".

Yup, better said. Irix, Solaris, and FreeBSD are very much alike. But
when they differ, they are about equally different.

> 	Solaris has two things I wish we had...file system ACLs (makes
> working with Samba beautiful) and what I consider to be a very nice print
> daemon and interfaces (SysV?)...

Arrgghh! You can't be serious about their print system? My worst
nightmares with Solaris 2.5.1 has been printing. The only way I've
gotten one printing The Way I Like has been to install Sun's
SparcPrinter E package and to not configure any other network printer on
the box. HP JetDirect software is essential for HP printers.

Without special "drivers" from Sun and/or HP, was never able to convince
its over-intelligent print system that the printer expected and only
would accept PostScript. The default print system is OK for most
printers if you don't mind stairstepped output if somebody happens to
throw raw text at it. Or as long as you can convince your users to
always run their text thru a2ps or similar. Big problem was our HP 4MV
really blew up on whatever was being sent so 40 or 100 almost blank
pages at the printer wasn't unusual.

Have heard both BSD lpr/lpd and LPRng are ported to Solaris, and have a
modest following.  I can understand why.

SGI Irix comes with the equivalent of apsfilter from the factory. SGI
basically assumes all printers are Postscript. And has good filters for
detecting Postscript and many different binary graphic formats. Final
print job goes thru a shell script where one could insert Ghostscript in
only 3 places to catch all routes to the printer, if that's what it
takes to print on (say) a LaserJet III. BTDT.