Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 20:15:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        dyson@iquest.net, wes@softweyr.com, tlambert@primenet.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System V init (was: Linux to be deployed in Mexican schools; Where was FreeBSD?)

Greg Lehey said:

> >> I still don't see why.  We have a method to run application startup
> >> and shutdown scripts already.  Could you be more specific?
> >
> > Startup your network
>
> We do that already.

How's about shutdown the network or database also with init.  SYSV
init can already afford it.  If better or finer control is needed,
the SYSV init is very close to the goal.

> > or database with init?
>
> Why not?

At least with SYSV init you have selective control over the subsystems
that you want to mess with.

> >> Where?
> >
> > SYSV-like init are available .
>
> Ah, that's what you mean.  My question was more ``what does it take to
> do this?''.

The already available SYSV-like inits.  No sense in reinventing the
world.

> >> I suppose there's one point there.  But the only difference for
> >> installing under FreeBSD would be the name of the startup file.
> >
> > The more your system is nonstandard, the more it will be considered
> > to be nonstandard.
>
> Fine, once we've defined ``standard''.

SYSV.  The world already has too many self-defined standards.  NIH
springs to mind.

If the existant SYSV inits need some polishing or a minor amount of
re-enginnering, and perhaps a formal policy needs to be created, then
so be it.  Cobbling together yet another hack scheme seems to be wasted
effort and obfuscation.

If SYSV init is missing some capabilities, then add them or clean that
up.  FreeBSD's init is very very simple, but simpler than it should
be.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid