Date:      Sun, 13 Dec 1998 18:02:17 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, jb@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc Makefile

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> As a counter-suggestion: how about just responding with a suitable
> form letter to the people who are obviously out of their depth with
> clueless questions (this might already be done now). We shouldn't be
> rude to people who upgrade before their time, but they should be made
> aware that -current isn't an appropriate target to track if they have
> to ask naive questions.

This is already in the FAQ; perhaps the FreeBSD home pages need
to emphasise this a bit more?

Also - lots of folk get stuck into CURRENT or STABLE when they try to
upgrade some port, and get told "oooh, no that wont work unless you
are running really recent code!" (I am guilty here). They then get
stuck in the "How?" loop when all they really wanted to do in the
first place was run (say) a secure website with recent Apache.

> Alternative suggestion: make the relevant section of the FAQ more
> fearsome to discourage people from making the leap unless they're
> really confident of their skills (presumably, these people read
> some kind of documentation to figure out how to do it). Or turn the
> instructions on how to update to -current into a puzzle of some kind
> which requires some application of skill to unravel :)

More fearsome; YES!! Obfuscate; NO!! That will push up the question
level and piss off the WC folk :-).

Mark Murray