Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 15:10:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't boot from CD and floppy after make release

:
:>     kzip is broken now?  I *need* kzip for my BOOTP based
:>     diskless workstations!
:
:Then you'll need to port it to ELF.
:
:- Jordan

    I've got 3 months worth of VM work that needs to be done.  I am *not*
    going to spend a month learning how ELF works just to port kzip.

    I can barely fit a minimal uncompressed kernel on a floppy now, and then
    only if I use every last block on the floppy.  Add in a minimal number
    of sound drivers and it becomes impossible.  If you guys move to ELF
    kernels without a working kzip, it will screw over a lot of people, not
    just me.

    If you don't break a.out kernel compilation then we can continue to make
    a.out kernels.  But if you break a.out kernel compilation ( make it
    elf or nothing) it puts a whole bunch of people into a bind.

							-Matt

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)