Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 18:00:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (wilko)
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: horrible hack / SRM console

As wilko wrote...

> As Aspen Tech support refered me to Aspen Tech sales for a SRM ROM
> and Aspen Tech sales does not seem to read email I decided to bluntly
> dump an EB64plus SRM console ROM into the Aspen Alpine board.
>
> Surprise: seems to work.. The Alpine does not have an ethernet i/f onboard,
> the EB64+ does (it seems, I've never seen one in real life) but the SRM
> does not seem to care too much. Digital Unix collapses with a panic
> though.. when I try to boot an install CD.

You'd expect I know better after years of hardware hacking but: there was
a memory jumper set wrong. The board correctly told me it had 64Mb, but it
was set for a single bank 4x16Mb instead of for a dual bank 2x4x8Mb.

Both Dunix and NetBSD stopped crashing after the board was setup correctly
8-)

I plan to port the NetBSD EB64+ specific bits to FreeBSD/axp (hopefully
soon..)

Wilko