Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:43:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Lee E. Hinman" <hinman@networkcs.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with Onboard Adaptec 7890 and LVD drive

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to install 3.0Release on a Gateway ALR 7200, and I'm having
> > a daemon of a time getting it to boot off the Hard drive.  Here are the
> > specs:
> >
> > 2 Adaptec 7890 onboard Controlers, Bios 2.01
> > Seagate ST34573LW Hard Drive
> > Phoenix Bios 4.0 6.00.4
> >
> > What happens:
> > Boots off floppy fine
> > detects 7890 Controller
> > Do Novice Install, with Minimal distribution set
> > reboot
> > get a "Read Error" from Bios when it should start booting FreeBSD
> >
> > Things I've Tried:
> > Different LVD terminators
> > Different SCSI cables
> > Jumpering the TP jumper on HD
> > Forcing HD Single Ended
> > Slowing Down Transfer Rate to 40M/sec in Adaptec Bios
> > True Partion Entries
> > Explicitly setting bootable flag during format
> > I have Disabled the Second Adaptec Controler
> >
> > Does Anybody have any ideas?
>
> Things you haven't tried:
>
>  - Change the "extended translation for disks > 1GB" option in the
>    Adaptec's setup screen.
> --

Changing the extended translation didn't have any effect, but I was able to
fix this.  As usual FreeBSD was working perfectly.  I reformatted the disk
using the Adaptec Bios and after that it booted just fine, Gateway must
have shipped the disk with some weird format.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Lee