Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 19:05:54 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Symbios 875 activity LED?

Mike Smith writes:
> > The next question is, "How does one dectect and differentiate an Asus
> > SC875 from other Symbios based cards?" Possibly a BIOS checksum? Think
> > the Asus uses straight Symbios BIOS.
>
> The "correct" way to do it is to use the subvendor ID.  As Stefan
> noted, however, it seems that many manufacturers don't fill this in.

That's what I was thinking and trying to say last night but apparently
was too tired to realize that's not quite what I said. Think that is
also the message Stefan Esser has been repeating. BIOS checksums would
probably be the only reliable way to tell but for such a small benefit
such as "make the LED" work its not worth the hassle or bloat to build
such a database into the kernel.

<humor>

Now my LED is working, could somebody put a software timer on it to
latch it on longer? Maybe a symbiosd, or ledd? It flashes so fast I
can't see it unless I have a couple of "cvs updates" running.

</humor>