Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 23:40:23 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Anthony Kim <anthony@enteract.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Passive FTP

On 28 Jan 99, at 3:06, Anthony Kim wrote:

> I have a 2.2.8-STABLE box running IPFW & NATD.
>
> I have FTP_PASSIVE_MODE= YES in /etc/make.conf on my workstation
> (4.0-CURRENT) and am successfully using passive mode ftp with ncftp and
> cvsup. However, when I do a make install in /usr/ports/dir/port-name I do
> not get a successful transfer and get a logged src TCP port 20 attempt in
> syslog.
>
> I thought uncommenting the above in make.conf would do it but it has
> not. Fetch has a -p option to use passive mode. How do I get the
> convenient use of "make install && make clean" in ports to work through
> ipfw without adding "allow tcp from any 20..."? Please save me from
> downloading all the src by hand!

If I recall correctly, you need to do more than just that.  The following
is taken from http://www.freebsddiary.com/freebsd/make.htm.  You need to
do more than just the above.  I believe a PR has been lodged for this
issue.

If you get the following message when you use fetch, then I suspect you
are behind a
     firewall:

          fetch: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles//donkey-
0.5.tar.gz:
          FTP error: fetch: Can't open data connection >> Couldn't fetch
it - please
          try to retrieve this >> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/
and try
          again.

          *** Error code 1

     If you are encountering an error message which is similar to the
above, then try this simple
     test:

          fetch -p <file>

     If this succeeds, then the following lines added to /etc/make.conf
should solve the
     problem:

          FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES
          FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS=-p