Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 23:00:58 -0700
From:      & Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        ckempf@enigami.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB drivers

On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 01:41:23PM -0500, Drew Baxter wrote:
> At 04:15 AM 2/4/99 , Terry Lambert wrote:
> >
> >It was also my understanding from looking around that the Linux portion
> >of MKLinux had full source code, but that portions of the MK portion of
> >MKLinux was available as binaries, only.
>
> I'm really not sure.. I thought MKLinux was full source, but I haven't
> really looked into it..
>
> >Basically, I think there is some hardware left to puzzle out that
> >you could not expect to get help from Apple when doing the puzzling.
>
> Well the thing is, most of "Apple's" Hardware isn't made by Apple.  They
> integrate the machines and make the ROM, but their Video is ATI, their
> Ethernet (in some cases anyway) is Dayna..

Certainly not the latter anymore.  Lamentably, Dayna is now a (very small)
part of Intel; that's why I no longer work there.  Gag!

> Sure they have some designs they've done (I.e. Geoport modem).. But I think
> you'll find that you wouldn't need to look to far except for the chipset to
> find out what drivers you need.
>
> >If I'm wrong, I'll be happy to buy an iMac for a porting project, so
> >let me know...
>
> I'd be interested in seeing it port in SOME form, even if just to get a
> 'base' going to proceed further.  I'm not sure how many people are
> interested in screwing with an idea like this though.

As I pointed out, NetBSD 1.3.3 will reportedly netboot on the iMac,
but they can't seem to get enough information about OpenBoot to
boot it from the disk.

> PowerPC Chips run RS/6000's for AIX.  Although I doubt AIX would run on a
> Mac unless it was the X86 version in a Softwindows window. :)

Wanna bet?  Motorola had/has it running on their StarMax series.  They
have a full-time engineer support Linux on their embedded and server
PowerPC CPU boards now, too.  <Sigh>  Too bad we don't engender this
kind of support.