Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 00:18:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding DHCP client to src/contrib/

In article <E10A862-0000GY-00.qmail.kithrup.freebsd.current@myrddin.demon.co.uk> you write:
>What impact will this have on the rc files?  How will it affect
>rc.conf, seeing as it overrides several values therein?

PAO already has some support for this; it works, and is what I've been using.

>What happens
>if your lease expires and doesn't get renewed, or gets renewed with a
>different IP address?

That's always a problem -- I know some people at uSoft who have that happen
(in Windows), and it kills their telnet sessions.  It's not something we're
going to be able to solve, and there really isn't one.

>Having seen the complete mess that DHCP client support made of
>Solaris' init files (and they were bad to start with!), I'm keen to
>not see the same convolution made here.

Fortunately, it shouldn't be that difficult.  There's a freebsd shell script
that comes with isc-dhcp that does the brunt of the work, and dhclient invokes
that itself.  So all the rc scripts have to do is notice that the IP address
is being set by DHCP, and start dhclient, instead of running ifconfig.